I finished reading this awhile ago and I’m just now getting the review out there.
I read all types of books and a few of my friends recommend this book because it ‘changed their lives’ or ‘changed the way they look at life’ so obviously I had to check it out.
I read it while on vacation in Nashville. It was beautiful out and I hung out in this cool park by Vanderbilt University reading the book and drinking a smoothie. Pretty relaxing and chill time!
This book kind of reminded me of ‘Way of the Peaceful Warrior’ by Dan Millman (but not as good). You know that there’s a profound message til you get to the end of it so you’re trying to race through the book. It’s kind of ironic. The whole message of these things is usually to stop dwelling on the past or racing to the future – live in today. But here I was trying to get to the end for the life changing message!
Pretty early on there was a drawing of a butterfly “He remembered something his grandfather once told him: that butterflies were a good omen.” Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE butterflies. My Babci (Polish for Grandmother) always told me that butterflies were good luck; they were God’s way of letting us know everything was going to be OK. This at the start of the book was a good omen for me 🙂
There are so many aspects of life you can relate this too. I think of my personal business(es). This book talks about how you throw yourself into your Personal Legend, you learn along the way – the journey is your lesson. And devoting yourself to becoming better and finding your personal legend, the whole world gets behind you. It’s profound though. It doesn’t mean just working hard and pushing hard – it means being 100% made up of your dreams, and 100% believing that nothing else matters as much as that.
No matter where you are in life, what you’re looking for, or what your personal legend is, I guarantee this book will help you look at things a little clearer!
Below, I’m providing you what I underlined in the book while I went through it:
- ‘Well, there is only one piece of advice I can give you,’ said the wisest of wise men. ‘The secret of happiness is to see all the marvels of the world, and never to forget the drops of oil on the spoon.’
- “Never stop dreaming” the old King said. “follow the omens”
- I have to find the man who knows the universal language. (The universal language was discussed a lot in this book. Read it and you’ll understand it better)
- If I could, I’d write a whole encyclopedia about the words ‘luck’ and ‘opportunity’
- The closer one gets to realizing his Personal Legend, the more that Personal Legend becomes his true reason for being, thought the boy.
- “Once you get into the desert, there’s no going back,’ said the camel driver. “And when you can’t go back, you have to worry only about the best way of moving forward. The rest is up to Allah, including the danger”
- We make a lot of detours, but we’re always heading for the same destination.
- “That’s the principle that governs all things,” he said. “In alchemy, it’s called the Soul of the World. When you want something with all your heart, that’s when you are closest to the Soul of the World. It’s always a positive force.
- “Because I don’t live in either my past or my future. I’m interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present, you’ll be a happy man.”
- …the most important part of the language that all the world spoke – the language that everyone on earth was capable of understanding in their heart. It was love.
- It is the hand that evokes love, and creates a twin soul for every person in the world. Without such love, one’s dreams would have no meaning.
- If good things are coming, they will be a pleasant surprise. If bad things are, and you know in advance, you will suffer greatly before they even occur.
- And if you improve on the present, what comes later will also be better.
- Courage is the quality most essential to understanding the Language of the World.
- When a person really desires something, all the universe conspires to help that person to realize his dream.
- Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure.
- Life attracts life.
- One is loved because one is loved. There is no reason needed for loving.
- There is only one way to learn. It’s through action. Everything you need to know you have learned through your journey. You need to learn only one thing more.
- They were looking only for gold. They were seeking the treasure of their Personal Legend, without wanting actually to live out the Personal Legend.
- Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And that no heart has ever suffered with it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with God and with eternity.
- What you still need to know is this: before a dream is realized, the Soul of the World tests everything that was learned along the way. it does this not because it is evil, but so that we can, in addition to realizing our dreams, master the lessons we’ve learned as we’ve moved toward that dream. That’s the point at which most people give up.
- When you are loved, you can do anything in creation. When you are loved, there’s no need at all to understand what’s happening, because everything happens within you.
- When we strive to be better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.
- Because when we love, we always strive to become better than we are.